North Kent Connect partners with local businesses and organizations to bring clients and community members a series of free, educational, and hands-on classes. The classes focus on a variety of different topics and are held at NKC. Updated NKC clients earn VIP credit for attending classes. All classes are free and open to the public.
- Yoga – Wednesdays (5:00 pm – 6:00 pm) NO CLASS FEB. 24th
- MSU Cooking for One – Wed. 2/19 (10:30 am – 12:30 pm)
- Parent Cafe – Wed. 2/26 (10:00 am – 12:00 pm)
- MSU Cooking for One – Wed. 2/26 (10:30 am – 12:30 pm)
- Home Repair Services: Electrical (at Rockford Reformed Church) – Thurs. 2/27 (10:00 am – 12:00 pm)
- Yoga – Wednesdays (5:00 pm – 6:00 pm)
- MSU Caregiver Tools – Tues. 3/3 (10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)
- MSU Cooking for One – Wed. 3/4 (10:30 am – 12:30 pm)
- MSU Cooking for One – Wed. 3/11 (10:30 am – 12:30 pm)
- MSU Caregiver Tools – Tues. 3/17 (10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)
- MSU Cooking for One – Wed. 3/18 (10:30 am – 12:30 pm)
- MSU Caregiver Tools – Tues. 3/24 (10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)
- MSU Cooking for One – Wed. 3/25 (10:30 am – 12:30 pm)
- Parent Cafe – Wed. 3/25 (10:00 am – 12:00 pm)
- Home Repair Services: Spring Home Maintenance (at Rockford Reformed Church) – Thurs. 3/26 (10:00 am – 12:00 pm)
- MSU Caregiver Tools – Tues. 3/31 (10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)
- MSU Caregiver Tools – Tues. 4/7 (10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)
- MSU Caregiver Tools – Tues. 4/14 (10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)
- MSU Caregiver Tools – Tues. 4/21 (10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)
|Please join the NKC team in a discussion around current issues in our community, and how we can best serve you. Do you have questions about any of our programs or utility assistance questions? We want to hear from you!|
|STRESS LESS WITH MINDFULNESS|
|A Michigan State University Extension class Stress Less with Mindfulness is a five-part series led by Georgina Perry. Learn about the benefits of mindfulness and pinpoint behaviors which can make you vulnerable or resilient to stress. Experience mindful movements and breath techniques to help calm your body and mind.|
|This gentle class is brought to you by the YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids. No prior experience necessary. Bring a bottle of water and a mat if you have one. Extra mats are available.|
|Presented by Kent County Parent Coalition, the Parent Café will serve as a monthly support group where parents are free to chat it up with others who struggle with the balancing act we call life. Learn how to positively build your child’s self-esteem. And diiscuss the impact it has on their social-emotional development and mental health.|
|MSU EXTENSION DINING WITH DIABETES|
|Dining with Diabetes is a fun and interactive course series targeting individuals with prediabetes, type 1 or type 2 diabetes, members of their support system and/or anyone interested in learning more. Participants learn to make healthy food choices and incorporate balanced menus into the family dining experience. Classes include research-based education, cooking demonstrations and healthy recipe tasting.|
|HOME REPAIR SERVICES|
|Home Repair Services’ classes with give you firsthand experience practicing the basics needed for you to begin making your own “DIY” fixes around the house.|
|MSU EXTENSION COOKING FOR ONE|
|Whether you’re living on your own for the first time, a single college student, a hard-working adult, or a senior on your own, cooking for one can be fun! Learn ways to make cooking for one simple and enjoyable. As well as helpful tips and tricks to making healthy choices, like eating well and being active.|
|MSU Caregiver Tools|
|This program will help you take care of yourself while caring for a relative or friend (no professional caregivers, please). You will benefit from the class whether you are helping a parent, spouse, friend or someone who lives at home, in a nursing home, or across the country. Please note that this class will not focus on specific diseases or hands-on caregiving for the care receiver.
This class will give YOU, the family caregiver, tools to: » Help you reduce stress » Communicate effectively with other family members, your doctor, paid help » Take care of yourself » Reduce guilt, anger, and depression » Help you relax » Make tough decisions » Set goals and problem-solve
The class covers the following topics:
• Hiring in-home help
• Understanding depression
• Helping memory-impaired elders
• Making decisions about driving
• Making legal and financial decisions
• Making decisions about care facility placement
CLASSES AND CLIENT V.I.P.
When clients participate in classes, they can earn a gift card to the North Kent Connect Store, as a part of the V.I.P Plan. The V.I.P Plan encourages clients to volunteer in the community or invest in themselves by taking a class.
WEST MICHIGAN WORKS! SATELLITE SITE AT NORTH KENT CONNECT
North Kent Connect now offers services to help people find jobs. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m., West Michigan Works! will help people with resume building, writing cover letters, and more at the NKC location. Anyone can use West Michigan Works! Services. You do not have to be a client of NKC. (Please note that West Michigan Works! will be closed from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. for lunch)
West Michigan Works! is a workforce development firm that aims to develop Michigan’s economic future, and helps others take the next step in a new career, free of charge. Those who come in will have access to the computer lab, printing, and fax services.
For more information about West Michigan Works! and to see upcoming hiring events and workshop schedules, please visit westmiworks.org.