Mealtime with Miguel
Greetings and welcome to Mealtime with Miguel!
Miguel is North Kent Connect's very own Food Engineer, or in other words, a stellar chef! As part of a new initiative taking place in The Market, Miguel creates healthy foods for our clients to sample using the same ingredients they can get for free when they visit The Market. This allows clients to learn about simple and healthy meals they can recreate at home while having a recipe to reference.
We are excited to share our concoctions with all of you hoping you'll try these recipes, too!
Mealtime with Miguel is a series featuring mini cooking episodes demonstrating how to make a variety of meals, snacks and more. Follow these episodes on our Facebook page below!
Cooked Veggies Over Grits
Get creative with grits! Top with fresh, sautéed veggies, parmesan cheese, and season to taste!
View the recipe below!
Cheese Grits With vegetables
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups hominy grits
- 3 asparagus
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup of parmesan
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 bell peppers
- Red onion
Directions: Prep 10 min- Cook 25 min- Ready in 35 min
- In a large pot, bring water to a rolling boil before adding the grits. Reduce the heat to low and stir while they thicken. Add margarine and seasoned salt
- Dice vegetables and grill for 15 min in a small pan with coconut oil until browned well
- When the mixture is thick, stir in grilled vegetables followed by margarine, cheese, seasoning salt. Stir until the cheese has been mixed.
Flavorful, juicy and delicious chicken burgers! Top with cheddar cheese, cabbage, and sautéed onions and peppers!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 onion soup mix
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash Chicken season
- 1 egg
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- salt and ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- Choice of buns
Directions: Prep 15 min-Cook 15 min-Ready In 30 min
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, stir in onion and garlic until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Stir ground chicken, egg, parsley, onion mixture, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Use an ice cream scoop to measure 8 equal portions; pat each portion gently into a burger shape.
- Pan fry the burgers in a large skillet over medium-low heat until browned and the meat is no longer pink inside, about 4 minutes per side. Put an instant-read meat thermometer into the center of the burgers, it should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees F).
- Place onto bun with desired toppings and condiments
Easy Chicken Cavatappi
Watch Miguel's rendition of Chicken Cavatappi and view original recipe below!
How May We Help?
North Kent Connect
10075 Northland Drive NE
Rockford, MI 49341 Map
Client Services Hours:
Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
North Kent Connect Store Public Hours:
Tuesday and Friday
9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
West Michigan Works! Hours:
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Closed 12:00-1:00 p.m. for lunch
Para servicios en español por favor contacte
Nicole Rodriguez, Administrada de Casos
616-866-3478 ext. 343 o Erin Niece,
Especialista Administrativo 616-866-3478 ext. 346